History of Leather Masters
In April 1989 David Carranza and Tony DaCosta saw the need in San Jose, California for a leather store that had quality leather clothing at reasonable prices. They started by making vests in their garage. After a couple of months they were able to move to a location above a bar named “The Heat” on Julian St. in San Jose. People laughed when they first saw the store. It was a little store, in one room, one display case with various C&B toys, wristbands, and wallets. There was also one vest and one harness hanging on the wall. They didn’t have the finances to stock a store, so they built their business reinvesting the sales into more products. Within four months they grew into a second larger room and then out-grew the building.
They moved to a building at 969 Park Ave. At the time, the building was separated into three different stores. Leather Masters was in the center, with a gun shop on the left and a gay newspaper to the right of them. They only used 600 square feet of the 1200 square feet that they had. But within a few months they had to expand into the entire space.